Greg's Bucket List
Last week, my wife, my daughter, and I saw the movie The Bucket List. It is about two men who were diagnosed with terminal cancer at approximately the same time. One of the men was talking about an assignment his college philosophy professor gave him, an assignment to make a list of all the things that he wanted to do before he kicked the bucket: a bucket list. The two men set off to complete the things on their list in the short time they had left to live.
I like the idea of having a bucket list, so I made up my own. A lifetime is a long time, so I'm sure some of these items will change before I kick the bucket. Here's the list I came up with for now.
Completed goals will be displayed in lavender
Goals that are in progress will be displayed in gray
1/42 and 4 in progress
001. Build my own businesses large enough that they are providing enough income that I don't have to work for anyone else.
002. Visit each of the 7 continents. [1/7]
003. Visit each of the 50 U.S. states. [30/50]
004. Visit each of the U.S. National Parks.
005. Take a cruise to Alaska.
006. Visit New Orleans.
007. Visit Austin, Texas.
008. Visit New Zealand.
009. See the northern lights.
010. Visit Cairo, Egypt to see the Great Pyramids
011. Go on a K-Love music cruise
012. Thru hike the Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail, and Pacific Crest Trail. (This is the triple crown of United States distance hiking.)
013. Thru hike the Wonderland Trail.
014. Thru hike the Tahoe Rim Trail.
015. Thru hike the John Muir Trail.
016. Take a cycling tour of Europe.
017. Ride my bike across the United States.
018. Climb Mount Ranier.
019. Climb Mount St. Helens.
020. Trek to the Everest Base Camp.
021. Climb Mount Kilimanjaro.
022. Go winter camping.
023. Ride the Great Divide mountain bike route.
024. Thru hike the Te Araroa trail in New Zealand.
025. Raft the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.
Just for Fun
026. Get my pilot's license.
027. Go skydiving. (Actually, this may not be fun. I'm afraid of heights. But it is a stretch, and I think it'll be good for me to face this fear.)
Education and Culture
028. Read all of the recommended literature listed in the appendix of How to Read a Book.
029. Read a book from an author in every country in the world.
030. Read at least one biography of each U.S. president, in order. [1/45]
031. Attend an opera.
032. Attend a Broadway musical.
033. Learn to play the saxophone.
034. Take an ethnic cooking class in the native country.
035. See Diana Krall in concert.
036. Own recordings of all the works listed in The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection
037. Learn to play golf.
038. Train for and complete a triathlon.
039. Complete a 365 photo project. [I took a photo a day between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018]
040. Attend a Rebirth Workshop.
041. Photograph a total solar eclipse.
042. Take a nature photography trip to Iceland.