Crystal posted a picture of a pot of my chili over on the Très Bébé blog, and several people have asked about the recipe. So, here it is. Enjoy!
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2qt bottle of tomato juice, preferably low sodium
1 can chopped mild green chiles
2 14oz cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 14oz cans small white beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
¼ c chili powder (adjust to taste)
½ tsp ground red pepper (adjust to taste)
salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for as long as you can stand to wait.
- Serve with toppings as desired. We like shredded cheese and sour cream. And corn bread on the side.
- You could also do this with dried beans instead of canned. It would probably be even better, but we use cans because I don't typically have the time to soak and pre-cook beans.
- This recipe is a modified version of the chili that I ate at home growing up. So, my Mom gets quite a bit of credit for this.